I've spent most of my week painting. Before we leave our house it has to be painted inside from top to bottom. It's German law that every 7 years you have to paint a house or an apartment that you are renting and most rental contracts have a "paint before you leave" clause included in them. It's a pretty serious thing. I've been dreading this task looming before me but once I got at it, it has actually gone very quickly. I've now painted at least 2/3 of the house and it sure does look nice! (Not to mention that I feel considerably relieved!)

As I was standing on the counter in the kitchen and painting the wall above the cupboards, I was reminded of the time that my mother was painting the kitchen in our old house in town. My dad was away at summer school and my mom took on this painting project. I remember "helping" her a bit along with a friend of mine and then we must have gotten tired or hot or bored and no doubt went off to the swimming pool. Sometime after we left my mom fell off the stool on which she was standing and broke her arm. She changed her clothes and drove herself to the hospital. She drove herself back home with a cast on her right arm and I clearly remember her finishing the painting project in terrible pain with tears running down her cheeks! When she talked to my dad on the phone shortly after the accident she didn't even tell him that she'd broken her arm! He was studying and she didn't want to worry him. When I was standing on the kitchen counter the other day this whole incident came back to me. Falling from that height would not have been funny and Howard was more than a 5 hour drive away! At any rate here I am to say that I didn't fall and haven't fallen and the entire painting episode has left me with only a small blister on my hand and a small bruise on the top of my foot. Weird. I have grown to love the thick German paint and this great little "grate" that one puts in these ungainly buckets of paint (that I cannot even lift when they're full!).
No comments:
Post a Comment