Saturday, October 20, 2012

hopewell rocks, new brunswick

 The Hopewell Rocks are on the famous Bay of Fundy
where the tides can rise and fall as much as 50 feet
each and every day.
These are the highest tides in the world.
To put this into perspective
most tides rise and fall between 2 and 4 feet per day.
 The day we were there was a "low" high tide day.
The tide only came up 34' that day.
I have to admit that I laughed when I read this sign.
Maybe it was the nervous fear I was feeling!
 When the tide stars to move in, it's no joke.
It sounds like a wildly, rushing river.
 I think the rock off to the right looks like a bear.
 We left for several hours and then returned when the tide was completely out.
It's an amazing feeling to be down on the ocean floor!
 The national park provides tour guides who wander around
on the rocks with all of the eager tourists.
 One of them told us that there are two boys who come down
regularly to set up this village
of balancing stones.
 It's really an amazing thing.
 They call this rock "Brian Mulroney".
I think it should be called "Abe Lincoln"!
What an extraordinary place.
It was definitely one of our highlights.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! Beautiful photos as always, mom!! I love the rock formations :)

    ReplyDelete