Wednesday, August 14, 2013

the lower mainland

 While we were in BC we went to what is called
"the lower mainland".
It is a heavily populated area encompassing 
several towns and cities
that are suburbs of Vancouver.
 We went on a hike with my sister, Heather, and her family.
It was a popular venue!
Nowel, Derek, Heather, Brodie
 Brodie looks like me.
I saw it for the first time on this trip.
 Last summer we touched our toes into the cold Atlantic ocean.
This summer, walking into the Pacific was much easier as the water
was surprisingly warm.
This is in a town called White Rock and yes, there is a white rock
which, unfortunately, is painted white.
I did not think it merited a picture!
 This is an amazing bridge - the Port Mann Bridge.
It's brand new.
Shortly after it was opened last winter they had a storm
and huge amounts of ice collected on the cables
and fell onto the cars below.
I believe they have now solved this problem by slightly
heating the cables during cold weather.


2 comments:

  1. What struck me about this post is how you said you visited the "lower mainland". I think I never really put thought in to this phrase since I've heard it my whole life. I tend to say we live in the fraser valley which I suppose is part of the lower mainland.
    Beautiful photos Eileen....so glad you could visit this beautiful part of our world! Did you drive to Abbotsford?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we did and I thought of you the whole time - especially when we drove right past Lepp Farm Market! My sister lives in Surrey. Her husband is the senior VP of Focus. I would have LOVED to have popped in on you but alas, we were rushing and I did not know where you lived. :(

    ReplyDelete