Saturday, January 14, 2012

being homeowners

 Two weeks ago we had another brutal wind storm in the night.
It absolutely howled and at one point I heard something come
winging down off the roof and hit something on the ground.
In the morning we weren't surprised to see the ground littered with shingles
and I wasn't surprised to see the damage from what I had heard in the night.
A shingle had hit the railing leading down from the porch
and the blow had broken one of the posts.
 Today, after many false attempts, the roofer arrived to patch up the patch.
He said that the companies making the shingles are using less tar
to prevent the shingles from sticking together in the bundles.
As a result, the shingles aren't bonding together as well once they are on the roof
and when the wind blows - so can the shingles!
It wasn't exactly the kind of thing we wanted to hear.....
At least for now the roof is back in one piece and 
we're looking forward to calmer times ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment