Saturday, January 29, 2011

snow, snow, go away....

It occurred to me this morning as I was shoveling the driveway that no one has ever written a song, that I know of, about snow going away. On a day like today when the sun is glorious and beautiful the snow doesn't seem that bad, even after a day like yesterday of hours of driving, pelting snow.
And when you see a snow sculpture like this just down the street the magic of snow is very real.

But when it continues to come pouring down almost daily and you see it piled in heaps everywhere one begins to wonder when and if it will ever stop and the beauty of it definitely gets lost.



Awhile back I wrote about the impending flood. Every time it snows the possibility of a disastrous flood becomes more and more a reality.
There was an entire page in the Winnipeg Free Press this week devoted to flood measures that are being planned and some already being carried out. Winnipegers are being called on - each and every able-bodied person who lives in Winnipeg - to be ready to help with the flood in one way or another. Homeowners who have river front properties are being cautioned about taking holidays away from their homes in the spring. Even though there is a massive water diversion canal around Winnipeg there are still serious concerns.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I am wondering where all this snow is going to go once the melt begins. We will think of that another day, I know that for sure, but for now the sun is gorgeous, the sky is clear and it's a good day.

1 comment:

  1. You probably know this but I heard on the radio the other day that so far Winnipeg has had 110 cm of snow and last winter we had 80 cm over the entire winter! Flooding is almost certain, it seems.

    ReplyDelete