Wednesday, October 14, 2009

marseilles & the chateau d'if

Marseilles is a huge and busy city. We were at the old harbour early in the morning to catch some of the sights and smells and also to see about taking a boat out to the famous "Chateau d'if".

Lavender is everywhere you turn. Soap is a huge industry and lavender is a very popular scent.







This incredible church overlooks the old harbour. I have never seen anything like this.
If you've ever read the book "The Count of Monte Cristo" or seen the movie, you will know about the prison where Edmond spent several years before his amazing escape. Although the story is fiction, the Chateau is very much a reality.


1 comment:

  1. Ooooh, I LOVED Marseilles! I think it was my favorite city I visited in Europe! I love the pictures and am glad you got to go and enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete